Saturday, January 7, 2012

Quick fix

This is a life lesson for me:

* Things don't have to be perfect * 

I sometimes (okay, most of the time) have trouble remembering this. My friends and family would not hesitate to use the word "perfectionist" to describe me. I'd like to think of myself as simply thorough.

.... Please stop laughing at your computers. I can hear you.

Which brings me to my latest project. When husby and I bought our bedroom furniture we found it off of a yard sale website and bought it from a wonderful woman who lived one town over. She was a single mom with 4 children living in what looked like a one bedroom house, and they were obviously a little down on their luck. She and her family were some of the nicest, most polite, and hopeful people we have ever met. The set was in very good condition and she even dropped the price over a hundred dollars for us. We called her before we even got home and said we would take it. This set is perfect for us, and just needed a little cosmetic work (some of the drawers had come off their tracks- which my main squeeze fixed fairly easily). The set also has quite a few scratches in the finish due to regular wear and tear from the original owners. 


This is where I come in. We have lived with the scratches for a while now, and honestly, I just couldn't take it anymore. They were starting to stare at me.

(This one just shows the general roughness- the scratches really aren't all that noticeable with the exception of the first picture)

So I took the easiest route possible. I grabbed a sharpie and started filling those suckers in! It did take some time- probably just over an hour to do our two dressers (still need to finish the headboard and night stand), but the end result is pretty great! 

This picture is of the major crack in the finish. This is literally the only section where I can still see the scratch in the finish, but at least I was able to cover the light wood showing through.


See, no more scratches or bump marks showing through:


Needless to say, it certainly is not the most glamorous fix, but it definitely got the job done! The end result is a smooth, flush, and completely finished look. Now I can relax in my room in peace again. Has anyone else done any quick fixes recently? Got any good stories of super easy home repair? I'd love to hear about it!


Come back soon, I've got a really exciting project I am working on that I'll post later for you lovelies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment